Milestones

Church History Milestones

120 YEARS WALKING WITH GOD  -- written by Samuel Colvin in October 2014 for the 120th Anniversary Celebration

God has faithfully blessed the Kenova United Methodist Church during its history. In the early years, from the moving of the church building to the moving of many railroad jobs (and members) to Portsmouth, God was there walking with the church.  When disease afflicted the community reducing the number of church members, God was there.  When the church could only survive by being placed on a two-church charge with Ceredo, God was there.

Some of the highlights of the Kenova United Methodist Church’s walk with God are listed below. May God continue to walk with and bless the Kenova United Methodist Church!

Important Dates in the History of Kenova United Methodist Church

1894 – Kenova Methodist Episcopal Church organized

1896 – First church building on Sycamore Street

1911 – Church building moved to 1500 block of Poplar Street

1919 – Kenova Charge separate again after Ceredo-Kenova Charge was divided

1922 – Parsonage at 15th and Poplar Streets built

1924 – New church building completed

1940 – Kenova Methodist Episcopal Church and Kenova Methodist Episcopal Church – South combined

1950 – Education wing built

1965 – New entrance and narthex built

1969 – Parsonage at 17th and Chestnut Streets purchased

1980 – First service held in new sanctuary and fellowship hall addition

1992 – Lemaster property on Poplar Street purchased

1994 – Church centennial celebrated

1996 – Final part of Poplar Street parking lot purchased

]1997 – Office building on Chestnut Street purchased

2000 – Parsley property on Poplar Street purchased

2003 – New addition completed

2014 – Form senior center on Chestnut Street purchased